Hardwood floors are a homeowners best friend, but that doesn’t mean they’re easy to handle. As one of the leading flooring contractors in Ohio and Pennsylvania, we know from experience that the idea of comprehensive hardwood floor maintenance can be a daunting task for many homeowners. It’s tempting to just sweep every so often and be done with it.
Easy or not, though, it’s important to maintain hardwood floors. And it’s not just about looks, either (although that’s one good motive). Here are five reasons to start putting some serious effort into caring for your home’s hardwood floors.
5 Reasons to Stay Up to Date on Hardwood Floor Maintenance
1. Prevent unsightly damage. A new hardwood floor is a thing of beauty. Unfortunately, that gorgeous shine and impeccable surface won’t last for long without some intervention. Hardwood floors – especially those in high-traffic areas like hallways and kitchens – are quick to show wear and tear.
2. Keep your family safe from hidden dangers. One thing that hardwood floors love? Moisture. Hardwood floors installed in high-moisture areas like basements or other humid areas are susceptible to buckling and warping. This may make them difficult to walk on and could create tripping hazards. Even worse? Water or other liquids can seep into cracks in the wood and create areas of mold, which could be harmful to you and your family.
3. Increase the value of your home. Thinking of selling? Most homebuyers prefer hardwood floors in areas such as dining rooms, kitchens, stairs, entryways, and even bedrooms. Even if your hardwood isn’t in the best condition you might still experience some benefits. To increase the value of your home, though, it’s important to ensure that you’re maintaining your hardwood floors.
4. Prolong the life of your hardwood floor. Unlike carpet, hardwood floors are durable and long-lasting – with the proper maintenance. Taking the time to care for your floors over the years will mean that you don’t have to replace them often, or even at all.
5. Protect your investment. We won’t lie, wood floors are not the cheapest options on the market. Depending on the type and amount of wood you’re installing, your upfront cost might be thousands of dollars. Is it worth it? We think so. But don’t waste those funds by not caring for your floors. Proper maintenance will ensure that you get the most out of your investment.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Floors
So, what’s the best way to maintain your hardwood floors? Well, that depends on the floor. Daily sweeping with a dust mop or a gentle vacuum can go a long way to protecting your hardwood floors. Every now and then, though, you’ll need to go the extra mile.
Depending on the finish of your floor, you may be able to use regular commercial cleaners. It’s important to check with a professional floor care specialist or with your installation experts to make sure the product will not cause further damage.
No matter how well you take care of your floors, you’ll need to consider recoating or refinishing them.
Is Maintenance a Handful? If So, We Can Help
Whether you’re looking to sand and refinish your floors or need help maintaining your hardwood floors to keep them in top condition, you can trust professionals like American Floor Care to get the job done right.
Our professional and hardworking team has been providing quality floor care to the north-eastern Ohio area for over 20 years. It doesn’t matter if you need to install new flooring or refinish the floors you already have, we can handle it all.
Ready to get those beautiful hardwood floors you’ve been dreaming of? To get your free quote today, contact us online or give us a call at (330) 847-9100. We’d be happy to respond to any questions or comments that you have.